Pages

05 August 2008

Sayuri

I was totally enthralled by Memoirs of a Geisha; not because of the Cinderella (with the bizarre romanticized pedophiliac angle) story, but because of the detailed look that the author gave the reader of the remarkable lives of geishas. The idea of a japanese girl with clear light-colored eyes tickled my imagination. I thought that Zhang Ziyi with the blue contacts was pretty much what I imagined back when I was reading it.


A few months ago, possibly late last year, Nards was about to buy a lens, and he was googling photos that were taken with this particular lens. He stumbled on an online gallery of a certain American photographer, where he had a whole gallery devoted his daughter named Seven. (Now, it's Seven and Kublai, because his Japanese wife gave birth to a baby boy January of this year.) He initially showed me this photo that used a 50mm 1.2:



Amused (with a healthy dose of awwwww), we looked through all the photos of Seven.
I think if Sayuri was real, this is how she'd really look like.



Every month, Nards and I watch her grow as her father zealously takes her portraits. The lousiest photographer simply cannot take a bad photo of her even if he does it intentionally.

She's going to break a lot of hearts when she grows up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails