Pages

25 August 2008

Cucina Gayuma

After a brief stay at the radio station, Nards and I went to Deepa's place at Little Baguio. I brought her dress for the wedding for her to try on. We were both giddy that it turned out very well, and fits perfectly. (She really knows what style flatters her body.)

We were planning to have dinner after calling on her, and we were trying to decide which places along Wilson or in Greenhills would be a nice place to grab supper. I had the brilliant idea to go to Cucina Gayuma which is right on Granada St. (If you're coming from Gilmore towards Greenhills, it's going to be on your left before the major traffic lights that converts Granada into Ortigas Ave.)


It was a nice place. The decor was very Filipiniana: window shutters made of capiz, antique oil lamps, a piano, rustic tables and chairs, and native placemats on very minimal place settings.


Their menu caught me off guard. It was a laminated single sheet with prints on both sides. It had their nifty logo (same as their outdoor sign) but what gave me pause were the prices. Considering their location and the exterior of their restaurant, one wouldn't expect a dish to cost around Php250. And this is just a single serving without any side dish of rice.

Nards ordered Fish Ratatouille, Php180
I had the baked fish in several cheeses, Php230.

For dessert, we shared a piece of turtle pie, Php95.

The food was without a doubt, tasty and delicious; and the portion was filling considering the size of the servings. It was flavorful and it hit you delicately as you (thoughtfully) chew every bite. The turtle pie was too sweet though. It was a very thick layer of chocolate mixed with walnuts, on top of a somewhat thick layer of caramel on a buttery crust. I thought it was like eating a Sneaker's bar (which would have been cheaper than Php95).

Seriously though I feel a bit hoodwinked by Cucina Gayuma. The surprise basically comes from this: it looks like an affordable place, but once you see the menu, it's not. I have no complaints about the food, or the smiling and courteous servers. But I don't think I'll be going back to that place.

Incidentally, they are not related to Gayuma that was previously on E. Abada St. behind Katipunan. I wonder what happened to that place. I've always enjoyed eating there.

Photos by Nards (using his lumix that has a low ISO) & Aggie (using her cellphone camera)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails