Pages

18 March 2010

Green Thumb

Obsessing, might be too strong a word to use, but this is certainly what Nards and I somewhat feel about our first plant/tree.  Last week, as we were leaving our parent's place, and loading the car with pabaon (i.e. ulam, freshly picked fruits, linens, etc), my Dad picked up a Neem tree from the garden and handed it to Nards.  They (in-laws included) are all afraid I'm going to contract Dengue again, and are doing everything possible to keep mosquitoes away from me. 

We now officially have our first plant/tree. 


Unfortunately, the 45 minute drive from my parents' to our place, and the 15 minute wait it had to endure as we went up and down the elevators unloading everything, the poor Neem tree was traumatized from the ends of its roots to the tips of its delicate leaves.  For the first two days, we watched all the stems, sprouting from the main branch, droop and the leaves curl up and wilt.  I watered it moderately once a day per instructions of my Dad, hummed to it, gave it words of encouragement and still it continued to droop.

Until today, when we saw a few sprigs of fresh green leaves.
There is hope! Haha!


Nards and I went to the Manila Seedling Bank a couple of days ago to buy potting mix to make our first tree more comfy in our balcony.  On a whim, I bought three small Lavender plants.   I figured our little tree could use a little company. 
Our balcony, though tiny, looks nice with the Neem tree in one corner and the three little pots of Lavender lined up against the wall.  Early in the morning and late in the afternoon, their wonderful scents waft inside the house.   It's just lovely.  Sometimes, I'd pinch off half a leaf, and give it to Nards.  He loves the smell of Lavender.

Nards and I plan to put up a rack there and get more fragrant herbs.  We'll see what we can get from my Mother-In-Law's garden and from another trip to the seedling bank.  I'll definitely get basil and oregano.  Because I like making my own pesto, and cooking pasta dishes. Nards wants aloe vera. 

I wonder if there's a way for us to expand our balcony...  Either that or get a bigger house. :P

2 comments:

  1. go get a house! :)

    the soil at our new place is not very good to plants, i will have to go on a trip to the seedling bank to get some soil and a potting mix. is neem available there too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Hopefully we can get a house in the near future :D

    Yes! Neem tree is available at the seedling bank. That's where my Dad bought it.

    Take photos of your new garden ha? :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails