Pages

06 January 2009

A Word on Vampires

No offense to Twilighters, but True Blood kicked it's schmaltzy ass.  I persevered to finish all four Twilight books (even though I was ultimately bored), and the only one that entertained me was the last one. And from friends who are die-hard Cullen fans, I am told that this book was the least favorite because it tried too hard. 

The same friends who ambushed me during a luncheon party.

Cullen Fans:  Ags, have you finished reading the Twilight Saga.
Me:  Yes.  That was the longest time it took for me to finish reading four books.

Cullen Fans Why?  Didn't you like it?
Me: I got bored.  It draaaaaggeed on for me.

Cullen Fans: We loved it! 
Me: Ahhh.  (grabbed a glass of wine to keep myself occupied.)

Cullen Fans: Are Team Edward or Team Jacob?
Me: There are teams?  I have to be on one?

Cullen Fans: Of course!
Me: Uhm, Team Jacob.

Cullen Fans:  But why????
Me: Because he's fun.  And he and Bella talked.  Which is a sign of a healthy relationship.

Cullen Fans:  I'm on Team Edward. 
Me:  Cool.  (Taking another sip of wine.)

Cullen Fans:  How can you not love Edward???  He's reads, he knows so many languages, he plays the piano, and he has a beautiful penmanship!
Me:  I don't know, he kind of bores me.

Cullen Fans:  Oh I love Edward!!
Me: Huh. 


When my sister told me to get a hold of the complete first season of True Blood, I was really wary.  There's been too much vampire hoopla lately, and I'm not sure this will capture my interest.  But it did, big time. (Pretty much similar to the way I got hooked on Dexter and Pushing Daisies.)




The cast is really talented and the pace is fast.  It also helped that Sookie Stackhouse was a far cry from Bella Swan.  She's got a strong personality and has character; she's also well-grounded and not at all wishy-washy.  Besides, doesn't the name Sookie Stackhouse roll off one's tongue marvelously?  The plots are meaty and promises a solid hour of entertainment in each episode.  It also has a kick-ass soundtrack.  (Consider it loaded on my iPod.)

This morning, I was surfing through Amazon to check the Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris on which Alan Ball based the series.  To date, the series has 8 books and starts with Dead Until Dark.  I can't wait til my order arrives.  I hope it's enough to keep me occupied until the second season airs.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails