Pages

08 January 2012

Making Palitaw

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm crazy about palitaw. When I was in grade school and high school, recess meant I can get a single serving of palitaw from our cafeteria for Php2.50.  Recently, Beng and I feasted on some palitaw during a bazaar and they're now a whopping Php10/piece.

On our most recent trip to the farm to visit my in-laws, my Mother-in-Law taught me how to make them.  And I made my first batch last Friday, after Beng and I baked a couple of batches of macarons.  My other sister Claire, requested the recipe, so here it is :)


Ingredients:

glutinous rice flour (make sure it's glutinous otherwise it wouldn't float)
water
sesame seeds
sugar
grated coconut (niyog)

I'm sorry that I don't have the exact measurements, but I basically eyeballed everything.

On a non-stick pan, toast the sesame seeds lightly.  It should be done quickly, because left a tad bit too long it becomes bitter.  Mix with sugar (with the sugar just a little bit more than the seeds) in a small bowl and set aside.

Place a cup of glutinous rice flour in a bowl.  Add water a little at a time mixing (I used my hand) until it's a smooth dough.  It still needs water if it's dry and powdery.  It is too wet if the dough is sticky.  It should be pliable and smooth.

In a deep pot, boil water.  (While I waited for it to boil, I prepared two shallow dishes: one with about a cup and a half of grated coconut and the other with the sugar sesame seed mixture.)  Once the water is boiling, peel a small amount from the dough, shape it in a flat oval, and drop in boiling water.  Once it floats, take it out of the pot.  Roll in grated coconut and in the sugar and sesame seed mixture.

Makes about 10 or so servings. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails