Pages

10 April 2008

Death by ID

The day did not bode well for me.

12:30AM. Went to bed.

3:00AM. Woke up.

3:03AM. Drank two glasses of water.

3:20AM. Couldn't go back to sleep.

3:22AM. Tossed around a bit, trying to get back to sleep.

3: 40AM. Still tossing.

3:45AM. Got the PSP, and played Backgammon -- this usually puts me to sleep.

4:13AM. Beat the computer TWICE on a fifty point game of Backgammon.

4:15AM. Wired. Opened Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core on the PSP hoping the emo soundtrack will put me to sleep.

5:30AM. Still playing.

5:40AM. Beat a boss and moved forward two stages in the game.

5:43AM. Started to get sleepy.

5:48AM. Saw red streaks of light on the wall. Glanced out the window and actually saw the sun rising.

6:00AM. Saved the game.

6:03AM. Fell asleep.

7:50AM. Phone rang. Dad.

8:01AM. Couldn't get back to sleep. Decided to get up.

8:30AM. Decided to get a head start on my application requirements for UP HRDO.

8:33AM. Surfing the CSC website, the UP website to get their contact numbers.

9:00AM. Dialing CSC trunk line to inquire about getting certification for my professional eligibility.

9:20AM. Still no answer on their trunklines, their hotlines and even the direct lines to their offices.

9:40AM. Still dialing and listening to endless ringing.

9:45AM. Decided to call the NCR office trunkline. Picked up by an automated response. Giving an endless list of locals to call, but not really helping me connect to the person/department that I need. NO OPTION TO CONNECT TO AN OPERATOR. It's pick a number or bust.

9:46AM. Picked the option for civil service exam inquiries.

9:47AM. Got a computerized soliloquy on the long list of requirements when taking the civil service exam.

10:00AM. Back to dialing the CSC trunklines, their hotlines and even the direct lines to their offices, and again listening to endless ringing.

10:25AM. Finally! Contact. (WHAT EFFING TIME DO YOU CIVIL SERVANTS REPORT FOR WORK???) Was told to just go to the main office, fill out a form, pay the fee, and get the certificate. I inquired about photo and other requirements posted on their website. Was told to just show up, fill the form, pay the fee, and will be issued the certification within the day.

10:30AM. Called UP HRDO. Talked to a nice lady who gave me a week to submit all documents.

10:36AM. Checked email, chatted a bit with sister, and checked some sites.

11:30AM. Took a shower and got dressed to grab lunch at Beach House, then off to the CSC.

12:00NN. Lunch at Beach House. Two sticks of barbecue, rice, and roasted eggplant topped with shrimp paste, fresh tomatoes and salted egg.

12:40PM. Burp.

12:45PM. On the way to CSC.

1:15PM. Arrived at CSC.

1:18PM. Filled out forms. Was told to get a 1x1 ID picture with signature beneath my face. ("But, but when I called, I was told that it wasn't needed!")

1:25PM. Drove to Don Antonio. Went to a Kodak Express and got the required ID photo.

2:15PM. Back at CSC. Presented filled up form, my drivers license and my ID photo.

2:30PM. Got a receipt and was instructed to go to their basement to their records section to get the certificate. Was assured that certificate will be released in less than an hour.

2:35PM. Queued behind a lady at the records releasing section window.

2:40PM. My turn. Was told that I needed another ID apart from my license.

2:43PM. I checked the list of IDs that they accepted, and the only one I had was the driver's license. I don't have an SSS ID with picture (because they didn't issue me one); nor a GSIS ID (because I'm not a member); nor a voter's ID (because of that messy computerized election fraud) nor an NBI/police clearance (because there wasn't a need for me to get one); nor a passport (because it's at my parent's house); nor a school ID (because the last time I enrolled was three years ago); nor a company ID (I have not been formally employed for the past year!).

2:48PM. I tried to explain to the civil servant at the records releasing section window. He told me (as if I was a retard) that I need to get an NBI clearance or a police clearance just so I can get an ID.

2:50PM. Still asking for some consideration that my driver's license is a valid ID issued by another government agency, and that it is, at the moment, an infallible piece that can identify and attest that I am indeed... well, me. My ID was issued by the government. Everyone else accepts it, why can't they? And excuse me? They're requiring a company ID? Anyone, with today's technology, can just manufacture a company ID out of thin air. If ever, they should require a secondary ID if all they're presenting are company or school IDs, because these are things that can easily be falsified. But a driver's license???? They doubt it's integrity?

2:52PM. BULLSHIT. Ran out of patience with their ridiculous rule. Left the records releasing section.

2:56PM. Went back up to their action center. And asked for consideration.

3:00PM. Listened patiently. But they're not budging.

3:02PM. Asked for a refund of the fees I paid. If I just lost about five hours of my life with your stupid bureaucracy, I'm giving you a tiny sliver of aggravation by doing paper work on a canceled receipt and a refund.

3:05PM. Left CSC.

3:40PM. Back home. Stressed out.



On a semi-related incident, I know of someone, who worked overseas for a long time, and whose only valid ID acceptable in this country is the passport. Said friend went to the bank to open an account, and was told to come up with another ID. Friend asked bank officer what were the requirements for a foreigner to open an account at their bank. Bank officer said that they just need the passport. So why ask for two ID's from a Filipino? Friend wasn't able to open a bank account.

If there's any small thing that will sink this country, it's the two ID requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails