Pages

29 February 2008

Blast from the Past



Today, I gave a career talk to the juniors of Holy. I was tasked to explain my course and my work after I graduated. I think I ended up scaring them. I really didn't mean to, honest. I just wanted to impress upon them all the things they can do after they graduated from college. I wasn't bragging when I told them that I worked from 7-4am five days a week, and for three days of that week, I attended school from 5:30-8:30pm, and of the remaining two days, I taught from 6-8pm. My point of telling them that was to let them know they shouldn't limit themselves, and that they can do whatever they want. And that hard work always pays off.



Then they erroneously jumped into concluding that I graduated summa cum laude and that I was those geeky over achievers in high school. I told them I wasn't. This somewhat encouraged the under achievers. I think my career talk was taking a direction that would stress out the guidance counselors who organized it. So I corrected their misconception as best as I could. I pressed on that they should learn to manage time, get all their readings at the first week of class, and to have fun in college but to stay out of trouble. (THE EFFORT, I swear, of saying all of these while keeping a straight face and avoiding sarcasm and self deprecating jokes.)



After the talk, I went around to take photos of all the changes that has happened to Holy since I last visited. Even my sister was stumped when she saw the photos.











Here's the clincher. Before I left, the high school principal, Ms. Cruz, who was my English teacher in third year, said if I was interested I may apply to teach next academic year. And I'm seriously considering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails