Pages

19 June 2007

No TV

I have to confess. I have always been a TV addict. It was my babysitter. Everyday before I started going to school, I sat before it, as my yaya was busy doing her other chores or taking care of my infant sister. Sesame Street, Candy Candy and Voltes V. Later on, when I started going to school, I was allowed one hour of TV after homework everyday. Weekends were free for all. As a high school student, with parents that are strict and protective (read: I'm not allowed to go out much), I spent most of my evenings in front of the tube. 21 Jumpstreet, Star Trek: TNG, Tranformers. In college, I was so used to not going out much that I actually enjoyed just sitting reading but mostly watching TV. X-Files, Frasier, Friends.

Now, that I've moved out, I have resolutely decided not to have a TV. Well, we do have a television set, but we don't get any reception, not even the local channels. (Goodbye indie film and documentary series in channel 5.) We buy DVDs and we take a few hours in a week to watch a movie or to do a tv series marathon. But we don't let it consume our daily lives.

Interestingly, I've accomplished a lot of things that I have always put off because my favorite show is on. I can't believe how many hours of my life have been spent just sitting glued to the screen. I get to listen to the radio more often, and discover new bands that have great songs. I finally started a scrapbook and I'm able to put together a page at least once a week. I miss watching the news and witnessing actual congressional/senatorial proceedings, but then I get to read the newspaper while sipping hot chocolate (tablea, milk, cinnamon and a few more secret spices). I unwind from work by blowing bubbles out to the children below the window. I get to blog more (teehee!). I get to read! (Oh! I've missed burying my nose in books for hours!) I'm hoping to finish the scarf I'm knitting for Mitzie before the cold season hits their place. I've progressed (somehow) in my photography endeavors. I get to bake a lot (as evidenced by the increasing weight of certain people). I get to devote more time volunteering.

I'm so happy we don't have TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails