Pages

28 April 2010

Missa Pontificalis

I wasn't allowed to go beyond these doors.


It's the little swinging door that gave access to the altar.  It's also attached to the communion rail that prevented people from setting foot on the altar.  My Dad asked us to go and help him and my brother document the Pontifical Mass at one of the convents near their place. 



This was the first one I've attended, and it moved me to tears.  (Kind of hard when you're taking photos.)  The entire celebration was sung in Latin, and I was in so much awe of all the elements that make up the solemn rites: the nuns singing, the intricate vestments and movement of the bishop and priests at the altar, all the women in the chapel wearing veils (I was the only one who didn't wear one, and I was so embarrassed), and the prayers. 









I'm afraid my photos are very limited, both in quantity and point of view.  I was stuck in one place, (hiding) behind the organ (because of my bare head) beside the choir of nuns.  I felt right at home there, in that little space surrounded by the clear and gentle voices of the nuns.   It made me think of of high school and the peace, security and contentment I felt whenever we were doing our prayers or celebrating mass.  It wasn't even a quarter of the way in the celebration when my eyes started to smart.

All I know is this: God is always good and merciful.  And I'm grateful for all His blessings.

1 comment:

  1. wow your entry moved me to tears too. i'm envious i wasn't able to join you. there is always something about a group of nuns that make me feel secure. must be from growing up surrounded by nuns. haha.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails