Pages

28 November 2008

Nards' Gift

Nards and I accompanied Beng to greenhills today.   She bought a Nokia E-something.  I can't remember the number, all I know is that it's so high-tech.  So much so, that Beng declares that the phone is too smart for her.  It has this cool (not to mention driver-friendly) feature because it actually tells you the name of the person who's calling.  Galing no?  (Although it pronounced my name wrong -- ey-gi, not a-gi.)

With the cellphone purchased, we went to ortigas as well to go to Megamall.  I had to go to Johnny Air Megamall to pick up the books I bought from Ebay. I cannot thank Nards enough for this gift.

 

When I was three years old, one of the books that Mama read to me was Pippa Mouse. Somehow it got lost over the years. I’ve forgotten about it, until a few weeks ago, when I was searching for some books on Amazon and I saw the new version of Pippa Mouse.

I ran a search for the vintage 1976 copy that Mama bought before and it was no longer in print. The only ones selling it were libraries and the cheapest was $21! I searched for it on Ebay, and I found a mother who was selling her children’s old books. Pippa Mouse came in a box of six Yearling Books for $4+. Although the box was worn and taped up, the books were in pristine condition. I just had to have it! But I couldn’t use my credit card because I had the numbers changed and the new one hasn’t arrived.

Nards heard me fretting and wailing over my laptop. He quickly purchased it, and had it delivered to Johnny Air in New York. It was then shipped to their branch to Megamall where I paid for the shipping from the US to the Philippines. Total cost, including cost of the books and shipping from Illinois to New York, was Php1,300+. Fairly reasonable, and so so so worth it.

I was almost in tears when I read it again. I was hit with sweet warm memories of Mama reading it, and her excitement and joy when I started reading it out loud when I was three and a half years old. Seeing all the illustrations was pure nostalgia.


Makes me wonder how I lost that book in the first place. Anyway, I have another copy. I’ll make sure it doesn’t get lost.

Thank you Honey!

2 comments:

  1. You have books na to read to your kid/s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Yes we do! Now all we need is/are the kid/s :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails