Pages

20 December 2007

Circuit Breakers

It was all very sudden.

I was standing in the middle of the kitchen dicing potatoes and slicing wedges of cabbages, while keeping an eye on the simmering pot on the stove. It was a bit dark, and I reached over and flicked on the light switch, when I heard a pop and the bulbs on the counter went out. I quickly turned off the light switch and unplugged the mixer, blender and toaster.

When Nards arrived, I let him look at the non-functioning counter overhead lights.

"The bulb shorted." He was examining the bulb closely.

"I agree with you."

"I'll fool around with the circuit breakers and see if we can get the other light." He opened the panel and started flicking the switches.

This is where the fun began.

Switch #1, turned off all the electricals in the living room including the computer. (There goes torrent. *Sigh*) Obviously not that one.

Switch #2, turned off the stove exhaust, and half the lights in the kitchen.

Switch #3, turned off all the electricals along one wall of the living room. (TV, radio, DVD player, playstation)

Switch #4, did nothing.

Switch #5, did nothing as well.

Switch #6, turned off the exhaust and the lights in the bathroom.

Switch #7, turned on the other bulb over the kitchen counter. Bingo. I was offering Nards a Sharpie and masking tape, so that the circuit breakers could be properly labeled. But he declined.

After all of that was taken cared of, I told Nards that the beef stew is simmering and we'll have dinner after I take a shower. I went in the bathroom, turned the knob that would activate the heater in the shower, and turned on the water. The water was cold. The heater wasn't working. I asked him to look again at the breaker box.

We repeated the circuit breaker exercise. Again, I offered the Sharpie and masking tape, but it was declined once more.

When we couldn't trace which circuit breaker to switch on to power up the water heater, we transferred the socket where the heater was plugged. It was back to normal.

We ate dinner, and after the dishes were cleared, Nards went to the laundy area on the balcony, to put on a load. The washing machine won't turn on.

Again, we repeated the whole circuit breaker exercise. After several attempts, Nards plugged the washing machine to another outlet.

I wonder if we have to repeat this whole exercise, when I turn on the stair lights to go to the second floor....



* Just realized this is my 200th blog entry*




*

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails